Monday, September 24, 2007

History of the Hymns

‘O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go’ (1882) Page 480
Words: George Matheson (1842 – 1906)
Music: Albert L. Peace (1844 - 1912)
George Matheson, engaged to be married, learned he would soon be totally blind. His fiancée said, “I cannot marry a blind man” and left him with his dreams shattered. He thought of taking his life, but instead took hold of himself as he wrote the moving hymn, “O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go” on June 6, 1882.
This blind preacher and poet later penned these words—
“My God, I have never thanked Thee for my thorns.
I have thanked Thee a thousand times for my roses, but not once for my thorns.
I have been looking forward to a world where I shall get compensation for my cross;
but I have never thought of my cross as itself a present glory.
Teach me the glory of my cross: teach me the value of my thorn.
Shew me that I have climbed to Thee by the path of pain.
Shew me that my tears have made my rainbow.”
Albert Peace wrote the musical tune: "St. Margaret" for Matheson's text for The Scottish Hymnal of 1885. He named the tune "Margaret," which is a favorite name in Scotland and it has also been said that the tune may have been named in honor of his fiancé.

Meanwhile…1882…125 years ago…in the United States…
President: Chester A. Arthur…V.P.: None
Bread: 2¢/loaf, Milk: 4¢/qt., House: $4,900
Average Income: Men: $71.40/year / Women: $54.50/year
Top Songs: ‘My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean,’ ‘The Skaters,’ ‘The Jumbo,’
‘When The Clock In The Tower Strikes Twelve’
The 1st baseball double header took place
The Dow Jones & Company was founded
Most popular children’s names: John, William, Mary, & Anna
The ‘Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882’ was passed, it sought to halt Chinese immigration
Rev. Jan Pitas established The St. Stanislaus Church (oldest polish parish in Buffalo, NY)

Ref. HymnHistories Cyberhymnal WebEdelic DMarie TanBible Wikipedia

No comments: