Sunday, February 17, 2008

History of the Hymns

‘I Surrender All’ (1896) Page 354
Words: J. W. Van DeVenter (1855 - 1939) Music: Winfield S. Weeden (1847 - 1908)

For five years, Mr. Van de Venter wavered between the challenge of the Gospel ministry and that of becoming a recognized artist. After attending Hillsdale College, he was teaching art in Sharon, Pennsylvania. However, a revival meeting held in his Methodist Church changed his life. Here is how he tells it:
“For some time, I had struggled between developing my talents in the field of art and going into full-time evangelistic work. At last the pivotal hour of my life came, and I surrendered all. A new day was ushered into my life. I became an evangelist and discovered down deep in my soul a talent hitherto unknown to me. God had hidden a song in my heart, and touching a tender chord. He caused me to sing.”
Dr. Billy Graham, wrote this tribute to Mr. Van de Venter:
“One of the evangelists who influenced my early preaching was also a hymnist who wrote ‘I Surrender All’ the Rev. J.W. Van de Venter. He was a regular visitor at the Florida Bible Institute (now Trinity Bible College) in the late 1930’s. We students loved this kind, deeply spiritual gentleman and often gathered in his winter home at Tampa, Florida, for an evening of fellowship and singing.”

Meanwhile…1896…112 years ago…in the United States…
President: Grover Cleveland…V.P.: Adlai E. Stevenson
Bread: 3¢/loaf, Milk: 6¢/qt., Average Income: $625/year
Top songs: ‘Maple Leaf Rag,’ ‘When the Saints Go Marching In’
Leo Hirshfield introduced the Tootsie Roll
Whitcomb Judson patented a hookless fastener, known as the zipper
The 1st car accident in the U.S. occurred when Henry Wells hit a bicyclist in NYC
The 1st public film in U.S. premiered in NYC (John Philip Sousa’s ‘El Capitan’)
The 1st electricity is transmitted from Niagara Falls to Buffalo
The “Cave of Winds” at Niagara Falls almost went dry
The Lancaster Opera House was built
A contract was signed for the construction of the footbridge in Silver Creek
W. P. Bignell was pastor of The Sheridan Methodist Church

Ref. HymnHistories Cyberhymnal WebEdelic DMarie TanBible Wikipedia BuffaloHistory.com

No comments: