Monday, October 22, 2007

History of the Hymns

October 21, 2007
‘I Know Whom I Have Believed’ (1883) Page 714
Words: Daniel W. Whittle (1840 – 1901)
Music: James McGranaham (1840 - 1907)

Daniel Whittle was named after American politician Daniel Webster. Whittle reached the rank of major during the American civil war, and for the rest of his life was known as “Major” Whittle. During the war, Whittle lost his right arm, and ended up in a prisoner of war camp. Recovering from his wounds in the hospital, he looked for something to read, and found a New Testament. Though its words resonated with him, he was still not ready to accept Christ. Shortly after, a hospital orderly woke him and said a dying prisoner wanted someone to pray with him. Whittle demurred, but the orderly said, “But I thought you were a Christian; I have seen you reading your Bible.” Whittle then agreed to go. He recorded what took place at the dying youth’s bedside:
“I dropped on my knees and held the boy’s hand in mine. In a few broken words I confessed my sins and asked Christ to forgive me. I believed right there that He did forgive me. I then prayed earnestly for the boy. He became quiet and pressed my hand as I prayed and pleaded God’s promises. When I arose from my knees, he was dead. A look of peace had come over his troubled face, and I cannot but believe that God, who used him to bring me to the Savior, used me to lead him to trust Christ’s precious blood and find pardon. I hope to meet him in heaven.”
After the war, Whittle became treasurer of the Elgin Watch Company in Chicago, Illinois.

Meanwhile…1883…124 years ago…in the United States…
President: Chester A. Arthur…V.P.: None
Bread: 2¢/loaf, Milk: 4¢/quart, House: $5,000, Avg. Income: $500/yr.
Favorite tunes: ‘Polly Wolly Doodle,’ ‘The Farmer in the Dell’
The 1st New York Horse Show held (Madison Square Garden)
Original Metropolitan Opera House (NYC) grand opening (Faust)
Race riots took place in Danville, Virginia (4 blacks killed)
US Supreme Court decided Native Americans couldn’t be Americans

Ref. HymnHistories Cyberhymnal WebEdelic DMarie TanBible Wikipedia BuffaloHistory.com

No comments: